Get your business started with
these social media tips

Most of us use social media on a fairly regular basis – sharing what we do and things we love with our friends and family. But when it comes to using social media for business, the thought can sometimes be a little overwhelming. This could be down to time to dedicate to social media marketing or not knowing what to do.

Here are 8 tips to get your business started with social media:

 

1. Set your goals

Your businesses social media activities should be planned and not random or sporadic. By having a plan you are able to detail the activities for each of your businesses social networks that will help to achieve your goal.

The social media goals you set should align with your business goals. For example, if you run a salon, an objective may be to increase the number of bookings/appointments. Your social media goals would be to raise awareness of your salon to encourage more bookings. 

2.  Identify and define your target audience

Take a moment to define your target audience and segment them into demographics. By defining your audience you are able to understand them better. This then helps with content and campaign creation, working towards your social media goals. 

3. Identify the best platforms for your business

When setting up your businesses social networks it is important to choose the right platforms for your business. Choosing too many to manage to start could create you an overwhelming task to effectively management them all, causing you to spread yourself too thin. 

Research the social media networks. Each network works differently in term and the way audiences engage and interact with businesses 

4. Choose the best social media management tool

Once you have identified the best social media networks for your business, it’s time to find the right social media management tool. Choosing the right tool can help save you a lot of time. These management tools can help you to automate your posts, manage engagement and communities, understand your audience and gather platform insights. With so many different systems available, it is best to establish what you need from each tool and depending on your businesses needs, you may be able to find a basic management tool that is free. 

5. Complete your social media profiles

If you haven’t taken the time to complete your social media profiles for your business, this could put visitors and prospect customers off and discourage them to follow you. And on the same note, it is important to keep your profiles active. Inactivity over long periods of times can also put people off – your audience followed you for a reason and you should want to keep them engaged with your business. 

6. Automate your content

Sharing relevant content to your audience through scheduling (automation) can save you a lot of time. It can give you more time to engage with your audience and build conversations. 

7. Follow the 80-20 rule

Keep your social media social by applying the 80/20 rule.  It’s not a secret formula, but the rule follows 80% of your content is relevant and of interest to your audience that engages them with your brand. The other 20% of your content promotes your brand and services. 

8. Measure your social media ROI

Analysis of your businesses social media performance is incredibly important to ensure you keep inline with your goals, but also to understand what is working, what is not, what your audience is engaging with and how they are responding and importantly, how to maximise these for future posts and campaigns. Most platforms give good insights into how they are working and there are also very good management systems that can give you good insights as well as Google Analytics. 

 

  • charlotte@urbansalt.co.uk
  • 07986952767
  • 57 Albert Road, Southsea, PO5 2SF
  • Urban Salt 2017